WHAT YOU SHOULD EXPECT
- Meets monthly for 90-minute sessions, free of charge.
- Designed for loved ones (18 and over) of individuals living with mental illness.
- Facilitated by a trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness.
- Confidential – share as much or as little personal information as you want.
- Do not recommend or endorse any medications or other medical therapies for your family member.
- Guided by the Principles of Support.
Why you should attend
REINFORCEMENT IN AN ENVIRONMENT OF SINCERE, UNCRITICAL ACCEPTANCE
At each meeting, you review the Group Guidelines and Principles of Support and update the group on the current events in your life, then spend the bulk of the meeting in group discussion, or ‘group work’. The group addresses urgent issues of its members and participants share their learned experience, or ‘group wisdom’. As a participant, your voice is heard, and you can contribute to a dynamic that encourages empathy, productive discussion, and a sense of community.
TOOLS FOR CARING FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR LOVED ONE
The support group can offer you practical advice on addressing issues related to mental illness and your loved one. It also gives you the appropriate space to have your personal needs met so that you can provide the best possible care for your family member. Taking time to voice your experiences and to hear from others may help you develop your inner reserves of strength. You may gain confidence in your ability to cope with your family member’s mental illness as well as local knowledge on how to best access needed services for your family member.
Family Support Group
We will be proceeding with hybrid meetings starting March 2022.
NAMI Family Support Group is a peer-led support group for family members, caregivers, and loved ones of individuals living with mental illness. Groups generally meet monthly.
WHEN IS FAMILY SUPPORT GROUP?
4TH WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH
Join us at:
NAMI Wood County | 541 W Wooster St, Bowling Green, OH 43402